Minimally Invasive Procedures
Minimally invasive surgery
This procedure allows inspection of the uterine cavity using an endoscope with access through the cervix. It allows for the diagnosis and treatment of intrauterine pathology such as abnormal vaginal bleeding, fibroids or uterine polyps. It also facilitates surgical sterilization and endometrial ablation.
Many of today’s most common gynecological conditions used to be treated with traditional surgery, including larger incisions and slower recoveries. Today, fortunately, we can treat most gynecological issues using a minimally invasive treatment approach called laparoscopy. It’s performed with a special thin, lighted instrument inserted through a small incision to look at the female pelvic organs.
- Diagnostic – Diagnostic laparoscopy is performed when X-rays or ultrasound results are not conclusive in identifying the cause of pain or a growth in the pelvic or abdomen area.
- Operative – For pelvic pain, ovarian cysts, fibroids, adhesions (scar tissue), endometriosis and infertility.
- Sterilization / tubal ligation – A permanent form of birth control, tubal ligation (getting your "tubes tied") is performed by laparoscopically closing the fallopian tubes.
Hysterectomy can be a complicated procedure with a long recovery period. But thanks to advances in minimally invasive surgery and our skilled surgeons, it can now be performed laparoscopically with no large abdominal incision. Most patients can look forward to resting at home the same day.
Other gynecological surgeries
- Management – For fibroids, endometriosis, abnormal uterine bleeding, ovarian cysts and other pelvic masses.
- Pelvic/vaginal procedures – LEEP cervical cone biopsy, genital wart removal, Bartholin cyst removal and labioplasty (labia reduction).
- daVinci® robotic surgery – Robot-assisted minimally invasive surgery.
For more information about any of our minimally invasive or nonsurgical options or treatments, call us at 732.254.1500 in East Brunswick or in Piscataway at 732.943.9160
For your convenience, you can also use our online form to schedule your appointment. Our minimally invasive surgery patients come to us from New Brunswick, Old Bridge, Monroe and East Brunswick in Middlesex County.